18 Nov

Egypt reports three more H5N1 deaths

first_imgDec 31, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Egyptian officials announced two new deaths from H5N1 avian influenza in women from the Nile Delta, along with what appears to be a third death involving a 50-year-old woman whose infection was previously confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO).Egypt’s state news agency reported that a 25-year-old woman from the city of Mansoura in Dakahlia governorate died in a local hospital 3 days after she was admitted to a smaller hospital with a high fever and breathing difficulties, Reuters reported yesterday.Egypt’s health ministry said it suspected the woman had handled sick domestic birds, according to Reuters.Health ministry spokesman Abdel Rahman Shahin said in a statement released to Egypt’s state news agency today that a 36-year-old woman from Menufia governorate died in a hospital where she was admitted on Dec 29 with a high fever and difficulty breathing, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report.Shahin said the woman had been exposed to infected poultry and that her family and other contacts were undergoing testing for the disease, the AFP report said.The 50-year-old woman, who is from Domiatt governorate, also died today from an H5N1 infection, according to a report from Kuwait News Agency. The report contained few other details about her illness and death, though it appears she is likely one of two H5N1 case-patients mentioned in a Dec 28 WHO statement. The WHO statement said she was hospitalized on Dec 24 and was in critical condition.The latest fatality reports push the number of deaths in Egypt from the H5N1 virus over the past week to four. If the new cases and deaths are confirmed by the WHO, Egypt will have 43 case-patients and 19 fatalities from the virus.The women’s deaths represent a continued recent H5N1 spike in Egypt. Also on Dec 28 the WHO confirmed a H5N1 infection in a 22-year-old woman from Menofia governorate who was hospitalized on Dec 26 and was reported to be recovering.Another Egyptian woman, a 25-year old from Bany Suwef governorate, died from an H5N1 infection Dec 25, according to previous reports. Her illness and death were Egypt’s first in about 6 months.John Jabbour, a WHO official in Egypt, told Reuters yesterday that the new cases were not surprising.”Since July we’ve had no human cases and many things calmed down, so people returned to dealing with live birds as usual,” he said. “Since the virus is there, we expect to have human cases.”Egypt has the world’s third highest number of H5N1 cases, and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization has said the virus is considered endemic among Egyptian poultry.See also:Dec 28 WHO statementlast_img read more

16 Sep

Senior year serve changes prepare Dina Hegab for next step

first_imgAs Dina Hegab locked her knees, she tossed the ball to its maximum height — higher than she did before. As it descended, the ball brushed the strings of her racket. The next thing her serve hit was the net’s mesh.It was late in her doubles match against North Carolina State on March 31, and Hegab’s serve was off, but for her, that was OK. The senior wanted to try something new — a two-week-old approach to the serve that held her back all season.Throughout her final season for Syracuse, Hegab has focused on making small changes to all aspects of her serve. It started with reading and returning opponents’ serves better and transitioned to capitalizing off her own. Hegab committed to tweaks in her serve that would cut down on faults and only had one in last Friday’s win against Pittsburgh. Her new serve technique has come to fruition in her last two matches — both singles wins — for No. 31 Syracuse (12-9, 5-7 Atlantic Coast), and has created a new aspect to her game for her professional aspirations.“I’m not ready to stop playing yet, I feel like I’m still improving and have a lot of potential,” Hegab said. “I’m not planning on stopping anytime soon.”In mid-December, Hegab met in head coach Younes Limam’s office with assistant coaches Shelley George and Len Lopoo. Hegab’s last semester of eligibility neared, and as the four met to discuss what she could improve, they agreed Hegab had to “refine” her serve.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBefore serves, though, it started with returns. Hegab needed to line up and execute return patterns that set up her strength — the forehand.  The first matches during which that change flourished were against Michigan and Purdue in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kick-Off Weekend, Hegab said. She clinched both with three-set wins, and used her “comfort zone” to exploit Alyvia Jones and Alex Sabe’s weaknesses. The two couldn’t return Hegab’s forehand when the senior played the points properly.Now that Hegab knew how to exploit serves, she needed to play off hers. Too many times, Hegab’s toss brought her forward and disrupted her balance, resulting in serves that either missed the service box or went into the net.“Sometimes in a match … you’re not feeling your serve, and you have to fake it until you make it,” Limam said.Hegab knew that wasn’t a blueprint for long-term success. She might get away with an inconsistent serve for now, but needed to plan for tennis after SU — something she expects on pursuing, she said.Hegab began to bend her left elbow more when she tossed the ball instead. She extended her right arm further and met the ball at its highest point. The ball remained closer to her body and didn’t pull her momentum forward. With her weight held back, Hegab could follow through completely on the serve with her wrists.“It gave me the chance to control the court better in the point,” Hegab said. “And be offensive instead of defensive.”As Hegab approaches the end of her eligibility, she reached out to the coaches about the next step. She still needs to take classes next semester, but can’t play with the team, so Limam told her she could practice alongside the team next year with Lopoo volunteering to play simulated matches. Eventually, she’ll need to find tournaments to play in, Hegab said. When she does, she’ll utilize the serve she’s spent the last four months working on.“It’s just kind of fine-tuning it so she can get it back to where it needs to be,” George said.It took a combination of Limam, George and Lopoo to fix Hegab’s serve. They advised her to not finish the serve if she didn’t have a good toss because she could always reset.As Hegab served for the first set against Pittsburgh, the match Limam called her “best” since making the change, the senior swung her left arm up. Reaching its maximum height, Hegab locked her knees to follow through, but the toss was too far away for her. Two weeks ago, she would’ve still served it, anyway. Instead, she let the ball bounce in front of her. Reset.Hegab had spent the bulk of her season retooling her serve. There was no rush this time, eventually she’d get it over the net. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 10, 2019 at 11:04 pm Contact Andrew: [email protected] | @CraneAndrewlast_img read more

20 Jan

Patrons should see a real fight this time

first_img 43 VICTORIES Corley is a 41-year-old veteran from Washington, DC, who has had 70 fights, with a record of 43 victories, 26 losses and one draw. He has boxed all over the world and last fought in Denmark on February 26, scoring a tko victory over Osama Hadifi. He has fought for world titles several times, among them a loss to Zab Judah for the WBO super lightweight title in 2003 and another loss to Miguel Cotto for the same title in 2005. He also had a non-title fight loss to boxing kingpin, Floyd Mayweather Jr, in 2004. Azore has 16 victories, five losses and three draws in a career that started in December 2006 and saw him becoming the Guyanese welterweight boxing champion in December 2012. He has been inactive recently because of his inability to get fights, but has been training hard for several months since learning that he would be a challenger in the Contender series. He told The Gleaner yesterday that he is “fit, ready and confident” and is looking forward to a good fight. Two experienced boxers – DeMarcus ‘Chop Chop’ Corley from the USA and Iwan ‘Pure Gold’ Azore, a Guyanese-born fighter who lives in Trinidad and Tobago – will exchange punches tonight over five rounds in the second preliminary bout of the Wray and Nephew 2016 Contender Series. The action starts at 9 p.m. at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium, Old Hope Road, and will be broadcast live on Television Jamaica. Last week, spectators left the venue bemused and disappointed when after only 55 seconds, one of the boxers, 19-year old Xzaviar Ford from North Carolina, USA, suffered a torn tendon in his right shoulder and could not continue, gifting the bout to his opponent, Jamaican Richard Holmes, who was declared the winner by technical knockout. The promoters and sponsors were very disappointed with the outcome and have made an effort to have a better line-up this week. Corley, who was not on the original list of boxers selected to appear this year, was recruited a few days ago to join the USA team in their bid to defeat the Caribbean team. The format of the competition is that there are eight boxers on each team – the Caribbean and the USA – respectively. A draw is then used to select the opponents from both camps, and they will challenge each other over five rounds, with the winners moving on to the quarter-finals, the semi-finals and then the final. The eventual winner of the competition takes home $2 million, the runner-up $500,000, third $250,000 and fourth $200,000.last_img read more