18 Sep

FG Urges State House Team to Defend World Handball Championship Title

first_img‘‘You are going to come under intense pressure from other teams as the defending champions of the 2015 World Handball Youth Championship, but you must remember the spirit of sportsmanship. I have watched your training today, and from what I can see you have justified the two weeks you have spent in camp. More importantly, you have to work very hard to retain the trophy you won last year,’’ he said.The Permanent Secretary commended the handball team for setting a good precedence of winning an international trophy last year, pointing out that the administration would encourage all the other sports to move into the spotlight through more training and competitions.In his remarks, the Coach of the State House handball team, Aminu Ibrahim, said the team had gained lots of experience by participating three times in the same international tournament and winning the gold trophy last year.He promised that the team would put in their best to retain the trophy.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Tobi Soniyi in AbujaThe Federal Government Tuesday in Abuja urged athletes participating in the forthcoming 2016 World Handball Youth Championship in Granollers, Spain to defend their current title with diligence, maturity and integrity.The State House handball team, Aso Rock Kings, will be representing Nigeria at the 2016 World Handball Youth Championship, which will be held in Spain, June 28th -July 4th, 2016.Speaking to the team, which had a training session at the National Stadium, the State House Permanent Secretary, Jalal Arabi, told the athletes to remain focus, committed and unwavering in defending the gold trophy they won in Spain last year.last_img read more

28 Aug

Liverpool complete seventh summer signing

first_imgLiverpool have today confirmed the signing of their seventh player this summer with a deal for Atlético Madrid right-back Javier Manquillo. The transfer will be an initial two year loan deal with the option for Liverpool to purchase Manquillo for £5m should he impress in England.The announcement has delighted many Red’s fans who wish to see some competition or even a replacement for current right-back Glen Johnson. Many feel Johnson is defensively fallible and Brendan Rodgers has sought to correct concerns amongst the back four with this signing and the deal for Southampton centre-back Dejan Lovren.Javier Manquillo has only actually played for the Atléti first team on 6 occasions in La Liga but the Madrid born boy has appeared 42 times for the Atlético Madrid B side. He has also made 7 caps for Spain’s Under 20 team but perhaps the lack of top level experience is reason this move is only as an initial loan should he struggle to make the jump up to the Premier League.Rodgers’ recruitment drive isn’t finished there though and it is widely expected 22 year old Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno will also move to Anfield in the coming days. It is believed Sevilla are holding on till next week when they face Real Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup final next Tuesday in Cardiff.It will be interesting to see how all of Liverpool’s new signings will gel with each other in the new seasons and will be hoping to avoid cases such as Tottenham where many of the players failed to find their feet quickly in 2013/14.last_img read more

17 Jan

2 arrested after robbing city-bound passenger

first_imgTwo men are now in Police custody after executing a robbery on a passenger in a taxi who was travelling from Berbice to Georgetown on Sunday afternoon.The men were reportedly apprehended at Church View International Hotel, at Main Street, New Amsterdam with a quantity of foreign and local currency.Police investigations revealed that the victim, Shan Goasu of Regent Street, Georgetown, boarded a taxi with two other men and in the vicinity of Number 2 Village, West Coast Berbice, the driver drove the motor car along a desolate road.One of the occupants then choked the victim and relieved him of the gold jewellery he was wearing, 0,000 in local currency, 00 in Surinamese currency, one iPhone and a passport.The man was then ordered out of the car and his assailants drove away. The matter was reported to the Blairmont Police Station and based on information received; Police went to the hotel where they arrested the two men.The Police then conducted a search of the men and found the 0,000 in local currency, 00 in Suriname currency, iPhone, passport and a bag containing clothing belonging to the victim.last_img read more

10 Jan

Koscielny doubtful for World Cup after Achilles injury

first_img0Shares0000Laurent Koscielny looks set to miss the World Cup after being stretchered off in Arsenal’s Europa League defeat by Atletico Madrid © AFP / GABRIEL BOUYSMADRID, Spain, May 4 – Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny looks set to miss the World Cup after the France international suffered an Achilles injury during Thursday’s Europa League semi-final defeat by Atletico Madrid.The 32-year-old centre-back was stretchered off in tears after just 12 minutes of his side’s 1-0 second-leg loss at the Wanda Metropolitano, with manager Arsene Wenger confirming he faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines. “It doesn’t look very good, it’s his Achilles,” said Wenger.“You can always hope for a miracle in the scan but the first signs don’t look very good.“It looks that it could be ruptured but I am a bit cautious because nobody can say that just by looking at him. If he has a ruptured Achilles, his chances (for the World Cup) are non-existent. We will know more after the scan.”The injury is a big blow to France coach Didier Deschamps, with his side to begin their World Cup campaign on June 16 against Australia in Kazan.Koscielny has made 51 international appearances for France since making his debut in 2011 and has been a regular starter under Deschamps.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more