continue reading » Lawmakers in the Senate Thursday passed the two-year $1.37 trillion budget deal before heading home for the August recess. The deal – which also seeks to suspend the debt ceiling to July 2021 – passed in the House last week, and the president is expected to sign it. Current government funding is set to expire Sept. 30 at the end of the fiscal year.Once Congress returns from recess, the funds will be split across 12 appropriations bills, which are expected to be passed individually or in small packages, rather than one large omnibus. However, passage of the budget deal does not guarantee that there will not be another government shutdown as congressional leaders must agree on how to allocate the funds before the Sept. 30 deadline.NAFCU will continue to advocate for full funding for credit union priorities, such as the NCUA’s Community Development Revolving Loan Fund, Treasury’s Community Development Financial Institutions Fund, various Small Business Administration business loan programs and more. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
That win Aug. 26 over Skaneateles began a hot stretch for the Cazenovia boys golf team, which carried that momentum over to the first week of school.Making it two wins in a row Aug. 30 at Beaver Meadows, where the Lakers rolled to a 230-326 decision over the Phoenix Firebirds as Alex Moesch once again led the way, shooting a nine-hole total of 41.Will Fitzgerald, recording a 44, was next on the Cazenovia slate, with Jack Byrnes adding a 47. Cody Dickinson and Ben Orbach each shot 49 and Chris Kelly finished with a 57. After some rough opening matches, the Chittenango boys golf team broke through with its first match victory of 2019 on Aug. 29, when it went to Beaver Meadows and defeated Phoenix 265-311.Tyrus Kelley’s 42 for nine holes was two shots better than the Firebirds’ Dom Neiss. And the supporting cast helped as Seth Boutler had a 53, just ahead of Brendan Fraser (54) and Tanner Smith (55), with Maddox Garvey adding a 61.A day later, the Bears lost to Mexico 215-254. Playing at Emerald Crest, Kelly managed a 44, while Fraser improved to a 48, but no other Chittenango golfer broke 50.Chittenango’s September slate commenced last Tuesday with a 220-251 defeat to Westhill. At Camillus Hills, Kelly had a 44, with Smith getting a 50 ahead of Fraser (51), Smith and Boutler (53 each). Anthony Maglisco (40) and Aidan Ryan (41) led Westhill.In a Thursday rematch with Phoenix at Rogues Roost, Chittenango won again, 239-282, over the Firebirds, Kelly’s 38 boosted by a 41 from Evan Smith. Fraser and Tanner Smith each shot 48 as Boulter posted a 51 and Garvey shot 56.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story Tags: CazenoviaChittenangoGolf Back in action last Wednesday afternoon, Cazenovia went to Orchard Valley and pulled away to beat LaFayette 218-260. Moesch, with a 40, led a more consistent effort, Fitzgerald earning a 44 as Dickinson and Orbach again tied, this time with 45, with Byrnes shooting 49.The win streak continued Friday at Cazenovia Country Club, with the host Lakers pulling away from Tully 217-257 as it produced five of the best six individual totals.Moesch again had individual honors with a 40, beating out Fitzgerald, who had a 42. Dickinson’s 44 tied the Black Knights’ Ryan Shute for third place, and Byrnes chimed in with a 45 as Orbach added a 46.
The cafe, which offers affordable plant-based meals for students in a buffet-style setting, officially started business in the new location Tuesday after operating out of the United University Church for nine years. Das said the restaurant wants to inform students about the new location and noticed that many of the restaurant’s loyal customers have returned. He said the new location, which is closer to off-campus student residences, might attract more customers. “There’s definitely a context of charitability, almost — I really like that. It’s a good common area to congregate in,” Laxamana said. “It seems a lot more airy in here … as opposed to the last location where it’s a little bit more intimate. That kind of gives a different vibe to it.” “We encourage people to bring Tupperware — first of all, because it reduces the carbon footprint and also because we are very generous with our portions,” Das said. “And we don’t mind if people want to take some home to eat later. Because, again, you guys are busy… [Students] have finals, essays, interviews, etc. We want you to make an educated choice by eating good stuff so [that] your brain develops at the same time that your body.” “My housemate and I recently were talking about how we were generally worried about the move for the sake of Good Karma,” Camasieo said. “Obviously, for us regulars who went all last year and the year before, we’ll keep going even if it moved farther [away]. But we were wondering if they would get as much attention from younger students … being off campus and a little bit farther than their previous location.” “You can volunteer at any part of the day, so you can come from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can come help cook, and then if you come around noon, you can help serve the food,” she said. “If you [volunteer], you obviously get to eat for free and you get to know the community.” “I think [the location] is farther away from some of the departments, but it’s closer to where [students] live,” Das said. “We were across the street from the Viterbi [School of Engineering], and a lot of students wouldn’t come because it was a long walk, and now it’s just going across the street. I think the clientele may change a little bit, but already I’ve seen already in the first two days, I would say, two-thirds … of our loyal customers.” The eatery is focused on sustainable practices and also allows customers to bring their own containers to take food back home. Students also have the opportunity to volunteer at the cafe and, in return, get to eat for free. Simone Augustine, a senior majoring in pharmacology, volunteers at the cafe and likes the friendly community. Good Karma Cafe at USC has moved to a new location at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, right across from campus on Vermont Avenue. The popular student cafe was originally located at the United University Church and relocated after the University bought the location at the end of 2017 with plans to renovate the area. Shaylee Navarro | Daily Trojan Laxamana said he enjoys the pop-up because of its sustainable practices and likes the new location’s spaciousness. “I detected no ill will, but obviously, the University is very much a business … and we don’t fit,” Das said. “They care about insurance [and] lawsuits … so they set certain rules that made it difficult, so we chose to work in a [friendlier] environment, and the St. Marks Church offered that.” Head chef and founder Sarvatma Das said the University has its own plans to renovate the space, and the cafe was told it would only be able to stay temporarily until the renovations took place. With the purchase, Das said the restaurant would also have to pay new insurance and other fees that it hadn’t before. The move benefits students like Maria Camasmie, a senior majoring in narrative studies, and Franco Laxamana, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, who have been regular customers and now live closer to the lunch buffet.
PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – The United States is urging all political stakeholders to put aside their differences and work towards “a peaceful and democratic solution” to the protests in Haiti where opposition parties are demanding the resignation of President Jovenel Moise.“The United States continues to urge all of Haiti’s political, economic, and civil society stakeholders to enter without delay or preconditions, an inclusive dialogue to identify and pursue a path to form a functioning government that will serve the Haitian people and address the country’s pressing economic and social concerns,” Washington said in a statement posted on the US Embassy website here.The political and economic crisis in Haiti was triggered by the publication in January 2019 of a report on the Venezuela-funded PetroCaribe Oil initiative, under which Caracas provided oil and other petroleum products to Haiti under a preferential agreement.Moise, who came to power in 2017, has denied any wrongdoing and has named former prime minister Evans Paul to head a team that would hold discussions with all stakeholders to discuss a way forward.Speaking on a radio programme here earlier this week, Moise reiterated the call for a national dialogue insisting “I am not attached to a mandate.“I am hooked on reforms. I want to talk about constitutional reform, for example. I want to talk about the reform of the energy sector, the digitization of the public administration. Today, we are in an acute crisis, but we can take advantage of this crisis to make this crisis an opportunity. We need stability in the country and to find that stability, we have to attack the system,” Moise told radio listeners.In its statement, Washington said that Haiti’s leaders need to work together “toward a peaceful and democratic solution now, with an increased sense of urgency.“The Haitian people are suffering; we stand with those Haitians who value peace while courageously calling for accountability. The United States deplores the current gridlock in Haiti which directly contributes to violence, a spike in humanitarian needs, and interruption of daily life for the Haitian people,” the statement added.Meanwhile, the Protestant Federation of Haiti, has announced plans to stage peaceful activities in the country “to implore God for Haiti”.It said that the first activity which will coincide with the 502nd anniversary of the Protestant Reformation here, ends on Saturday, while the second activity is planned for October 31 to November 2.Earlier this week, the Haitian Conference of Religious (CHR) staged a “national silent march” saying it had taken note of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis in which the country is in the process of tipping over”It said also that the situation “is the result of a much deeper crisis affecting the very foundations of our coexistence in its political, economic, social and religious dimensions”.
DONEGAL County Council is under fire from an Inishowen man after banning discussions of a Compulsory Purchase Order on his land at an electoral meeting next week.The ongoing dispute over the waste water treatment plant and disposal pipe in Moville is now in the High Court as campaigners seek a judicial review of a decision to give it the go-ahead.But the completely separate issue on the compulsory purchase of Dan McGuinness’s land on the peninsula has been banned from discussion by elected councillors at the Inishowen Electoral Area meeting next Tuesday. Sinn Fein councillor Jack Murray – who supports the campaigners – has been warned that he cannot discuss the issue because he has been told it is sub judice – in other words prejudicial to the High Court case which is heard before a judge.But Mr McGuinness disagrees – and is furious at the decision.He also claims the authorities are ignoring the fact that the foreshore of Lough Foyle is owned by the UK.“The item specifically to be included on the agenda for next Tuesday’s Inishowen Electoral Area Committe meeting is ‘Greencastle/Moville Sewage Outfall compulsory purchase order,” Mr McGuinness. “There were two separate applications made by Donegal County Council, one for the WWTP and separately, one for CPOs, ref 05XA0002, for the acquisition of lands needed.“These were determined separately under their separate reference numbers. The WWTP approval was judicially reviewed on 6th October 2011. The CPO confirmed by on 12th August 2011, was not judicially reviewed and neither was it referred to in the pleadings supporting the Judicial Review Application. As things currently stand, the Compulsory Purchase Application is not under legal challenge.“In these factual circumstances, Donegal County Council cannot apply the Sub Judice rule as it is clear that no element of that order is currently before the court.”He said he is seeking legal advice on what he claims is a denial of his democratic rights and has written to local politicians urging them to do the same – and discuss the issue.Cllr Murray, who wants to discuss the issue, was unavailable for comment. Meanwhile the UK claim on land on the Donegal side of Lough Foyle up to the high water mark remains a bitter part of the dispute.LEAVE YOUR COMMENT BELOW© 2012 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law. Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailyANGER AS COUNCIL BANS DISCUSSION OF CONTROVERSIAL SEWAGE PIPE was last modified: March 9th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)