16 Oct

Wolf Administration Cabinet Members Host 20th Cabinet in Your Community Event

first_img June 08, 2018 Press Release Middletown, PA – Today, Wolf administration cabinet officials were joined by community members for a Cabinet in Your Community event at Penn State Harrisburg.“The Cabinet in Your Community series has been hosted across the commonwealth to ensure that my administration has the best opportunity to have valuable dialogue with all Pennsylvanians,” said Governor Tom Wolf. “I look forward to hearing concerns from the Middletown community after today’s event, as the feedback we receive from community members is vital to the success of state government.”Featuring Department of Labor & Industry Secretary Jerry Oleksiak, Department of Aging Secretary Teresa Osborne, Department of Insurance Commissioner Jessica Altman, Department of Education Secretary Pedro Rivera, and Department of Human Services Secretary Teresa Miller, the department heads provided region-specific updates on major projects, accomplishments, and answered impromptu questions from the audience.The Cabinet in Your Community initiative is a series of townhall-like events in which members of the community are given the opportunity to interact with cabinet secretaries and talk about the issues important to their region.The next Cabinet in Your Community event is currently scheduled for June 13 in Pittsburgh at the University of Pittsburgh with cabinet secretaries from the departments of Community and Economic Development, Education, Health, Corrections, and Insurance. Wolf Administration Cabinet Members Host 20th Cabinet in Your Community Eventcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

20 Sep

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho coy over whether he’s received reassurances on future

first_img Asked whether he had been given assurances over his position, Mourinho, who in August signed a four-year contract extension until June 2019, said: “I don’t have to tell you.” Abramovich has previously axed managers when Chelsea’s place in the Premier League’s top four and qualification for the Champions League the following season had been in doubt. Asked if he can guarantee Chelsea a place in Europe’s elite competition next term, Mourinho said: “I cannot promise.” He then pointed to the failure of Manchester United and Liverpool to qualify for the Champions League in recent seasons. Mourinho added: “Chelsea is a big club. It’s the club that I choose to come (to). It’s a club I live in a very specific way every day. “Liverpool is a big club, Man United is a super big club. Last season Liverpool win nothing and didn’t qualify for the Champions League. “Two years ago Man United didn’t qualify for the Champions League – not even Europa League – and won nothing. “They are still a monster club, but that’s football.” Mourinho declined to comment on two disciplinary matters hanging over him. The 52-year-old Portuguese had until Thursday at 6pm to respond to a misconduct charge relating to his half-time dismissal by referee Jonathan Moss at West Ham. Mourinho expects his appeal against a £50,000 fine and suspended one-match stadium ban for comments made about referee Robert Madley following the October 3 loss to Southampton to be heard on Friday. “I think so,” he said. “Not optimistic, not pessimistic – just wait.” Mourinho has consistently stated since his return in June 2013 that finishing in the top four had to be the priority in a competitive league. But in referring to the examples of United and Liverpool, Mourinho neglected to say that both sides changed their managers. David Moyes was replaced by Louis van Gaal at United and Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool by Jurgen Klopp, who will be in the visiting dugout at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Asked about the changes in Liverpool since Klopp succeeded Rodgers earlier this month, Mourinho said: “I think everything is the same. Changed some details, obviously, in their tactical approach to matches. “But this is the nature of the game, especially when you are thinking and speaking about two top managers. “When you change a top manager for an ordinary one… when you change a top one to another top one, the level is high, they know what to do, it’s just a little bit of difference to the way both think about football.” Mourinho was asked about Klopp’s challenging campaign at Borussia Dortmund – when the German side started poorly in the Bundesliga last term before qualifying for Europe – and whether there were parallels with Chelsea this season. He declined to discuss it. Chelsea also refused to comment on former first-team doctor Eva Carneiro’s lawyers serving notice on the club that she intends to seek a claim for constructive dismissal. A Chelsea spokesman said: “We’re not aware that we’ve received any paperwork. “It’s an internal staffing matter, so we won’t comment.” The incident which sparked the Carneiro controversy happened in the opening-day draw with Swansea, when Chelsea began their title defence. Chelsea sealed the trophy prior to the most recent Liverpool clash, at Stamford Bridge in May, when the Reds afforded their hosts a guard of honour. The Blues had in January beaten the Reds in a feisty Capital One Cup encounter, when Diego Costa was adjudged to have trodden deliberately on Emre Can and received a retrospective three-match ban. Mourinho was unhappy with the media for highlighting the incident – something which still rankles. He said: “You are saying the game was fantastic, but after the game was not so fantastic. Hopefully we don’t have more of the same.” Costa (ribs) and Pedro (undisclosed) will undergo late fitness tests to determine if the pair will play on Saturday, while midfielder Nemanja Matic is available after a one-match suspension for his dismissal at West Ham. Mourinho was subject of the first managerial vote of confidence of Abramovich’s 12-year ownership on October 5, and Chelsea have won just one of four matches since ahead of Saturday’s clash with Liverpool. Chelsea, the defending Barclays Premier League champions, enter this weekend’s fixtures 15th in the table after losing half of their 10 games, including last Saturday at West Ham, while their Capital One Cup defence ended at Stoke on Tuesday. Jose Mourinho refused to comment on whether he has received reassurances from Chelsea’s board and owner Roman Abramovich over his future as manager. Press Associationlast_img read more

26 Aug

Dodgers’ Alex Verdugo is not expected to play again this season

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Dodgers outfielder Alex Verdugo is not expected to be healthy enough to play this postseason. Verdugo, who hasn’t played since Aug. 4, said he still cannot swing a bat without feeling some pain in his back.“It’s not bad,” he said Thursday. “It’s just when I get to that little extra range, that full range is when I feel a little bit of it.”Verdugo batted .294 this season with 12 home runs and 44 RBIs in 106 games. He was in the discussion for the National League Rookie of the Year award when he injured his oblique in an Aug. 4 game against the San Diego Padres.In September, Verdugo began a minor league rehabilitation assignment with hopes of re-joining the Dodgers for the final stretch. In his only game with the Ogden (Utah) Raptors, Verdugo hurt his back when he swung and missed at a pitch. He hasn’t played since. “Controlled swings are fine,” Verdugo said. “It’s the swing-and-miss. Like, if someone soft tossed it to me right now, soft and easy, just put the barrel on it and hit it, that’s fine. It’s the go up there, use that split second, realize what the pitch is, then if I swing and miss and get that full range, it’s still there.”Verdugo had been holding out hope that he could re-join the Dodgers in time for the National League Championship Series, if they were to beat the Nationals in the best-of-five NL Division Series.Game 1 of the NLCS is eight days away. The World Series begins Oct. 22. Verdugo hasn’t been cleared to hit balls off a tee, and only started running on the warning track from foul pole to foul pole in the last week. That pace of recovery all but rules him out for the remainder of the season, regardless of how long it lasts.“It’s slow. He’s moving around as you see,” Manager Dave Roberts said. “But as far as baseball activities, he’s really not doing a whole lot. So, to see him ready at all this postseason – very unlikely. I mean, it could change. But just the trajectory he’s on, it doesn’t seem likely.”Teams must submit their rosters for each round of the playoffs to MLB on the morning of Game 1. Roster changes are only allowed during each series if an active player is injured.center_img Staff Writer Bill Plunkett contributed to this story.last_img read more

12 Jan

Guyanese gunned down in NYC, brother critical

first_imgA West Bank Demerara (WBD), Region Three resident, who travelled to New York for his grandmother’s funeral was in the wee hours of Monday shot dead, while his brother is clinging to life after they were attacked by two men on 124th Street, South Richmond Hill, Queens, New York.Dead: Ricky KalisaranRicky Kalisaran, 31, of Lot 7 Klein Pouderoyen, WBD, was shot once to his back by one of the gun-toting bandits and left to die in front of a nightclub on 124th Street.His brother, Michael Kalisaran, 25, a resident of the US, was shot to his abdomen but when the bullet exit his body, it caused severe damage to a lung and kidney. He was admitted to the Jamaica Hospital, but was later transferred to a medical facility in Long Island to receive treatment.Anmarie George, an aunt of the two men, when contacted via telephone, told Guyana Times that Ricky and another brother, Vicky, arrived in the US on Saturday for their grandmother’s funeral, which is scheduled for Wednesday. She explained that based on reports they received, the two men were shot during a robbery.“From what we got, is that Michael forgot his mobile phone in his car and went to retrieve it when he was attacked by a group of men who attempted to take away a gold chain he was wearing and a scuffle started. After Rickey saw this, he went to his brother’s assistance and it was then we learnt that one of the men whipped out a gun and discharged a round hitting him to his back,” George revealed.She explained that after Ricky was shot, he was left on the roadway for about 45 minutes where he bled to death. His youngest brother was later picked up and rushed to the Jamaica Hospital.Detectives at the Scene early Monday morningThe Eyewitness News in New York reported that detectives were looking into whether the young men had left a nearby club prior to the shooting.“Police say the two men attempted to rob the brothers and they resisted, getting into a physical struggle with them. One of the men pulled a gun and shot them both. The men fled the scene in a dark coloured sedan,” the news entity reported.Further, it stated that a similar car crashed into another vehicle at 103rd Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard, and detectives were looking into whether the suspects were in that vehicle. After the crash, the car then proceeded onto the Belt Parkway and disappeared. No arrests have been made.Meanwhile, George explained that Michael’s condition was critical and the men’s mother was devastated. “She is in the process of preparing for her mother’s funeral… her father is hospitalised, now one of her sons is dead and the other is battling for his life… you could imagine her present condition,” the aunt added.Meanwhile, relatives in Guyana explained that they received the dreaded news about 03:30h on Monday. One relative who spoke with Guyana Times explained Ricky and his eldest brother Vicky along with their father lived in Barbados for some time before returning to Guyana.Ricky was described as a different “breed” in the family. He was jovial, loving and caring. He leaves to mourn his mother, his injured brother who is battling for his life, and two sisters.last_img read more