21 Sep

Holland hails Chelsea progress

first_img Press Association “As long as we’re within range and close when we get to the business end, the last few weeks, then I think we have a good chance. “We have a manager who has been there before and seen it and done it and we have a group of players that I think are growing as the season goes on, becoming more consistent and are young enough to also improve as the season goes on.” Holland may find himself addressing the media more often as Mourinho faces a suspension for his dismissal for frustrations which were, his assistant believes, totally justified, particularly in relation to perceived time wasting by the visitors. The breaking point for Mourinho was when, after Eto’o had put Chelsea in front for the first time, he sought a tactical change with the introduction of right-back Cesar Azpilicueta. Mourinho had already introduced a forward for a full-back – Fernando Torres for Ryan Bertrand – to play with a three-man defence and was eager to adopt a more cautious approach once his side had taken the lead. According to Holland, procedure was followed and fourth official Trevor Kettle informed Azpilicueta was to come on following the goal and Mourinho had dished out his instructions. Yet, Kettle and referee Anthony Taylor did not make the substitution. “For a few seconds, we didn’t have a player in the position that we thought we should have a player, because of the confusion,” Holland said. “I still don’t understand now why the fourth official didn’t allow us to make the change.” Mourinho’s potential to combust is well-known but his demeanour at Chelsea thus far has been of a content manager. The touchline dismissal, Holland says, was a demonstration of competitiveness. Holland, who was promoted to work with the Chelsea first-team under Andre Villas-Boas in 2011, does not believe Mourinho is any more intense than the previous coaches. But he praised the Portuguese’s proactive approach, such as withdrawing a full-back and adding a forward in chasing a game. Holland said: “That’s something he’s always done in his career and it’s something we’re gaining rewards from, certainly in our recent games.” One down side was the defensive lapse which allowed Cardiff’s Jordon Mutch to give the visitors the lead. Rather than point a finger at David Luiz, who left the ball, allowing Mutch to nip in and clip it over Petr Cech, Holland blamed a rare collective failure. “I wouldn’t say that David made a mistake,” Holland said. “It was a mistake from our defenders’ and our goalkeeper’s point of view in that the goalkeeper thought the defender was going to deal with it and the defender thought the goalkeeper was going to deal with it. “It’s not something that is characteristic. I can’t remember the last time something like that happened.” Chelsea will make a late decision on whether Ashley Cole (ribs) and Andre Schurrle (leg) travel to Germany on Monday after the pair missed the Cardiff clash. The Schalke game is their second of five in 15 days, with Manchester City visitors to Stamford Bridge next Sunday. Chelsea assistant manager Steve Holland believes Jose Mourinho’s men demonstrated their Barclays Premier League title credentials in Saturday’s controversial come-from-behind 4-1 defeat of Cardiff. “There aren’t many teams at the moment who are hitting that maximum level consistently. “It’s an impossibility to be rolling along beautifully week after week after week. “What you have got to accept is that when you’re flowing, things flow, when you’re not flowing you’ve still got to get results that give you a chance of being around for the titles. “That’s what we’re doing at the moment that perhaps we haven’t always managed to do previously.” Chelsea have relied on a late rally in their last two Premier League games, in the 3-1 win at Norwich and against Cardiff. “It’s a sign of progress,” Holland said. “The objective at Chelsea is always to win the league. “At Christmas time for the last two seasons we’ve been out of the race. On a dramatic afternoon at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea equalised through a goal which contravened rules – Samuel Eto’o kicked a ball bounced by Cardiff goalkeeper David Marshall, leading to Eden Hazard’s first goal – Mourinho was sent to the stands for berating the officials and the Blues finished with a flourish to move second in the table behind Arsenal. Asked how close Chelsea, who play Schalke in Champions League Group E on Tuesday, are to their best, Holland said: “I think you see flashes of it. last_img read more

17 Jan

Bandits rob, terrorise 2 separate families

first_imgIn less than three days, bandits have brutalised members of two separate families, robbing them and carting of millions in cash and jewellery, leaving their victims distressed and in pain, and vowing to pack up and leave.The first family which was robbed and terrorised is the Vanpat’s, of Liliendaal, East Coast Demerara (ECD), who bandits assaulted last Thursday evening. In fact, wife and mother, Carol Vanpat, was home with her 14-year-old son when the three masked men struck.Speaking to Guyana Times on Tuesday, Vanpat said it was only 10 minutes after her husband left around 21:00h on Thursday that two armed and masked men mounted her veranda using a construction ladder. The third bandit entered through the door which was opened for him by one of his accomplices.Vanpat said her sister had just two days before arrived from Canada with her two young children and had decided to visit a friend in Enmore, ECD. She left sometime around 15:00h that day and it was around 21:00h that her husband left to collect his sister-in-law from the Enmore residence.“I think we were being trailed,” she said. “Maybe they were trailing us since the day she came,” the frustrated woman said. She explained that upon entering the home, the men gun butted her, causing a huge laceration to her head from which blood oozed.“The whole house was sheer blood; my son’s jersey was sheer blood and my pants”, she said, as she relived the dreaded experience. The woman recalled that after being hit with the gun, she fainted as she “was losing a lot of blood.”She said she was then held and the bandits turned to her 14-year-old son, who they ordered to go find the money, lest his mother’s throat be slit. She said the child immediately went in search of the money and came out with an undisclosed sum of cash she had withdrawn from the bank to carry out repairs to her house. Her son was also severely beaten by the bandits.They bandits also reportedly took CDN$5000 which belonged to her sister, she and her son’s cellphones, cameras and some artificial gold jewellery worn by her niece. The bandits then made good their escape on foot.Vanpat said the Police were contacted and they immediately went in search of the men, as her son was able to track their location using his computer since the men had his cellphone in their possession.The frustrated woman, in tears, said she could not stand to live in Guyana any longer with her life and that of her family threatened. She said she and her family will have to leave in order to feel safe.Meanwhile, another family was on Monday evening robbed and the ordeal was very much similar to that endured by the Vanpat family.Fifty-two-year-old Bhim Singh, of 17 Block R Sophia, Greater Georgetown, said he and his family had just returned from a wake on Monday evening when they were greeted by three masked men who seemed to have been waiting in the yard.“As soon as I get out my car, I was confronted by the men”. He said he was gun butted across his forehead, leaving a nasty laceration. Before carting off with $48,000 in local currency and CDN$1180 and $300,000 worth in gold, the men reportedly went into the house and “beat up” Singh’s wife and daughter. The bandits then escaped on foot.Singh said he then summoned the Police who arrived on the scene “less than five minutes after” the call was made.This is not the first time the family has endured such a tragedy. In July 2013, the businessman said his family was robbed in a similar fashion. He too is tired of the situation and is again calling on the authorities to hasten the issuance of his firearm licences. The Police up to press time were still continuing their respective investigations into the two robberies.last_img read more