17 Sep

Students concerned about off-campus safety

first_imgMany students and local residents were startled after a Dept. of Public Safety officer fired one shot at an armed robbery suspect, who Los Angeles Police Department said is a Compton-area gang member, early Wednesday morning.The shooting occurred on 30th Street near Figueroa Street, after the two male victims followed the suspect, identified as Jeremy Hendricks, 24, from The Row, where the robbery occurred. The suspect was confronted by a patrolling DPS officer, who shot Hendricks in the leg after he appeared to be reaching for a weapon.The Row · Four students were approached on 28th Street by an armed robber early Wednesday morning and forced to hand over their property. – Matthew Wunderlich | Daily Trojan“At first, it was just surreal,” said Sahar Youdai, a senior majoring in architecture, who lives in an apartment building in front of where Hendricks was shot. “I woke up to hearing someone say ‘Put your hands up’ and then the gunshot, so at first it didn’t register.”The incident marks one week since the fatal shooting of two USC graduate students, Ying Wu and Ming Qu, near 27th Street and Raymond Avenue.Reed Foster, a sophomore majoring in economics and mathematics, said the incident was especially unsettling in light of last week’s shooting.“Everyone was kind of getting over the death of the two graduate students and then this happened,” said Foster, who was at his fraternity house during the incident. “Everyone is kind of in a daze right now.”Though Foster said the shooting does not change his opinion about safety off campus, he said he will strive to be more conscious of his surroundings.“This [doesn’t] change how I feel about my safety,” Foster said. “It just makes me kind of more aware. I’m not likely to go out and walk by myself with my iPod or be drunk.”USC officials did not send a Trojan Alert — a multi-platform alert that provides information on immediate threats — because they determined that no students were in immediate danger following the shooting. Though officials sent an email about the incident to the USC community Wednesday morning, the decision to not send a Trojan Alert raised concerns among students and parents, according to a statement released by Todd Dickey, senior vice president for administration.“We must always balance the community’s desire to know against the need to send out text alerts judiciously, in order to ensure maximum attention and response in case of an immediate threat or emergency,” Dickey said.Dickey said that, in the future, officials will consider other methods, such as tweeting or only sending an email, for conveying pertinent information in similar situations.“We will consider all delivery options for alerts in future situations where a threat does not exist but the university community would benefit from more timely information,” Dickey said.Lynette Hammond, who lives on 30th Street the location of the shooting, said she was scared when she woke up to news of the shooting Wednesday morning. She was especially surprised by the incident because she said the area where it occurred is perceived as being among the safer off-campus living options for students.“It’s really bad,” Hammond said, “Because this is supposed to be the good part. Here you are, going to school, minding your business and no one should have to be afraid.”Hammond, however, said students could prevent more incidents from occurring by limiting risky behavior, such as drinking and staying out extremely late.“The kids kind of have to curb it a little, too, because they have a false sense of security with [DPS], the police and the people in yellow jackets.”With all the security precautions, Hammond said there is little the school can do to improve prevention.“What else can they do?” Hammond said. “They can’t call in the National Guard.”Foster said he still believes the area is safe for students, although he said students are safer living in buildings that are more secure.“Things like this are bound to happen,” Foster said. “If I were sending my kid here, I’d be more comfortable with them living on campus or in a Greek house or one of these larger apartment complexes, as opposed to a neighborhood home.”last_img read more

28 Aug

Ghana Rugby President meets with IRB Africa development manager

first_imgMr. Herbert Mensah, President of the Ghana Rugby Football Union (GRFU), followed up on his previous meeting in June this year with IRB (International Rugby Board) executives as he held further discussions with Mr. Jean-Luc Barthes, the Regional Development Manager (Africa) of the IRB.The meeting took place at the IRB offices in Dublin and was also attended by Mr. David Carrigy, Head of Development and International Relations and Mr. Morgan Buckley, General Manager Development where outstanding issues about GRFU were addressed.Though the IRB and CAR were extremely impressed with the plans and speed of the Ghana agenda, they raised concern about the level and nature of communication.Mr. Carrigy explained that the IRB and Care had to service all their members, noting it was not possible to always do it simultaneously for all members at the same time. All parties agreed that phone calls would sometimes be more appropriate especially when time is of the essence in this cross cultural world.Mr. Mensah told the media the meeting was conducted in a positive mood and he was extremely grateful to Mr. Carrigy for arranging the meeting at short notice with the focus on what the requirements are for Ghana Rugby to become a Full Member of the IRB and thus to qualify for development support.Mr. Carrigy, he said, took time to explain both procedure and the constitution which outlined and determined the relationship between Ghana and the governing bodies. Mr. Buckley also clarified what was expected from Ghana in order to attain full status, Mr. Mensah recounted.The GRFU President said the meeting became a learning process for him as he better understood why Ghana had not reached the mark after eleven years!“Although Ghana Rugby is a full member of CAR (Confederation of African Rugby), it is only an associate member of the IRB and therefore does not qualify for development support – something that Ghana Rugby desperately needs,” Mr. Mensah said.Ghana Rugby elected a new Board on 5th June 2014 and was tasked by the President to make a proper assessment of the state of Rugby in Ghana and come up with a four-year Blueprint.“The assessment was completed and involved many stakeholders. Discussions on the proposed Blueprint were successfully held at the first ever Ghana Rugby Stakeholder Forum on 27 August 2014 and a Blueprint will be published and sent to CAR as per their requirements,” Mr. Mensah noted. The assessment also included consideration of a CAR evaluation initiated in 2013 but was never concluded. In this regard, Mr. Mensah said CAR committed itself to send a new team in the foreseeable future to re-valuate Ghana Rugby in the light of its application for Full IRB Membership, expressing his happiness to be working with Mr. Jean-Luc Barthes and Mohamed Dhermouni responsible for Rugby development in North and West Africa.The draft Blueprint that was published on the Ghana Rugby website (http://ghanarugby.org) to solicit comments from stakeholders painted a bleak picture of the current state of Rugby in Ghana with probably the biggest challenge being the need to raise funding for the various programmes.Mr. Mensah is therefore remarked, “The future of Ghana Rugby is without doubt dependent on the successful planning, structuring and implementation of a grassroots programme at school level. Previous attempts at this have all resulted in non-sustainable or manageable projects. The new Blueprint aims to bring schools development within the Club structure but that will obviously also require sponsorship.”Other programmes on the schedule include the local 15s men’s league that is being planned for November 2014 and January – February 2015 that will include 63 matches in total. In addition a 7s tournament will be held in April over the Easter weekend.Mr. Mensah also touched on issues of funding when CAR announces the schedules for international matches. “Besides for funding tournaments and matches Ghana Rugby also needs to invest in governance issues and specifically in the appointment of certain full time staff to take care of development of both the national teams and to support Zonal development aspects,” Mr. Mensah said.“Ghana Rugby are grateful for the clarity given by Messrs Carrigy, Buckley and Barthes and would be working much closer with Mr. Barthes to ensure a development programme which was both manageable and sustainable,” he promised.last_img read more