Conway, Ark. – The Central Arkansas Sugar Bears will make their third NCAA Tournament appearance on Friday night, heading to Los Angeles, California to take on the 10th-seeded Southern California Trojans. The Sugar Bears and Trojans will face off at 9:00 PM CST.”It’s pretty incredible,” said UCA head coach Jeni Jones Chatman, who is no stranger to the NCAA Tournament, but will be making her first appearance as a head coach. “To do it as a player and as an assistant coach is a very special event, but to do it as a head coach and to have players that are as bought in as I feel ours are is a very special feeling. It’s really not one you can put into words. It’s definitely something that will stay with me for a long time.”The Sugar Bears (27-4) went a perfect 3-0 in the Southland Conference Tournament, defeating McNeese 3-1, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3-2, and Abilene Christian 3-0 to earn the program’s third SLC Tournament Title. UCA will be looking for its first NCAA Tournament victory on Friday night, having fallen to Washington 3-0 in 2012 and Purdue 2-0 in 2013.”The girls are very excited,” said Chatman of her team. “We had practice yesterday and then again today, and our starting side looked phenomenal, and you can tell that we’re so excited to play. It’s a ‘get to’ that we get to play on Friday, and if we can keep this mentality and this drive, I think only great things are going to happen for us.”USC (22-9) earned the 10th-seed in the NCAA Tournament after finishing the regular season tied for second in the Pac-12. The Trojans, who will be making their 34th NCAA Tournament appearance, have won three NCAA titles and have advanced to the Final Four seven times.”USC is a volleyball powerhouse, they’re a very good team year after year,” said Chatman of the Trojans. “Mick Haley, the coach there, is a volleyball icon, so obviously they’re going to be well-coached and they’ll have an incredible staff. But they haven’t seen us yet, so we’re excited to have the opportunity to play. I think we’ve definitely earned it, I’m so proud of our program for doing what we’ve done this season, and I’m looking forward to keeping it going.”The winner of Friday’s match will advance to the second round to face off with the winner of the site’s other first round match between LSU (20-9) and San Diego (24-4). The second round match is set for Saturday at 9:00 PM CST.
Gardai have now confirmed that a SECOND person has been arrested in connection with the murder of Churchill man Seamus Doherty.The late Seamus Doherty.Donegal Daily revealed earlier this afternoon how a person was arrested last night in connection with their investigation.The 67 year old father-of-four was found dead in the bathroom of his home at Drumancanoo in June, 2012. It was initially thought his death was accidental but a post mortem discovered that he had been severely beaten.Gardai have now confirmed that a SECOND person has ben arrested in connection wiht the death.A statement from gardai confirmed “Gardai investigating the murder of Seamus Doherty on 16th/17th June, 2012 at Drumacanoo, Churchill, Co. Donegal have arrested two people. Mr Dohertyâ•˙s body was discovered at his home on the morning of 17 June, 2012.“A woman (57 years) was arrested yesterday evening, 3rd February, 2015 and taken to Letterkenny Garda Station where she is currently detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984. A man (51 years) was arrested this afternoon, Wednesday 4th February, 2015 and is currently detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984. The female remains in custody.” GARDA CONFIRM SECOND PERSON ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH CHURCHILL MURDER was last modified: February 5th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Looming Cuts Fuel Debate Over Medicare And Medicaid Spending As the March 1 deadline for the sequester approaches, news outlets analyze the impact budget cuts might have on the U.S. economy in general and on Medicare specifically.The New York Times: Budget Cuts Seen As Risk To Growth Of U.S. EconomySequestration would slash agencies’ “budget authority” by about $85 billion, but the Congressional Budget Office this month estimated that actual outlays would fall by only about $44 billion in the 2013 fiscal year, with the rest accruing over time. That is still about 1 percent of total federal spending to be squeezed out in a matter of months. Many economists argue that the same cuts could be made with less pain by postponing some of them until later in the decade, when the economy is likely to be stronger. Many argue that growing spending on health care programs like Medicaid and Medicare is the real threat to the federal budget, not domestic spending on areas like education and support for poor families (Appelbaum and Lowrey, 2/20).The Medicare NewsGroup: Automatic Cuts Or Not? A Primer On Sequestration And The Impact On MedicareBut if a deficit reduction deal is reached, it could still result in cuts to Medicare. Providers may not escape unscathed in such a deal and it could have a direct impact on beneficiaries. President Obama is open to increasing the Medicare Part B and D premiums paid by higher-income beneficiaries, while House Speaker John Boehner proposed raising the Medicare eligibility age from 65- to 67-years-old during the fiscal-cliff standoff last December (Sjoerdsma, 2/20).In other budget news – The Washington Post: Business Owners Urge Congress To Take Medicare, Social Security Cuts Off The TableResponding to a series of policy questions posed by lobbying group Small Business Majority, 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing Social Security benefits, which have been floated in varying degrees by both parties in Washington. Nearly three in four said lawmakers shouldn’t cut back on Medicare, and two in three said the same about proposed cuts to Medicaid, according to the poll, which will be published Wednesday (Harrison, 2/20). This is part of the KHN Morning Briefing, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.